The Y WA's Youth Parliament program
The Y's Youth Parliament program is a unique opportunity for young people to have their voice heard by policy makers, and create the change they want to see.
The program has been running for over 25 years, with involvement from a broad range of young people from all backgrounds. We are an apolitical program and encourage all young people from across the state to apply – regardless of your political beliefs.
Applications now open! Apply now: https://bit.ly/3JCzE4b
Participants act as “youth members”, representing a state electorate in parliament. The bills debated in the program are based on the interests and concerns of our state’s youth. They are then presented to the Governor, Premier and Leader of the Opposition in WA for reflection and consideration. Youth Parliament also provides an outstanding opportunity for personal development, be that in leadership skills, public speaking ability or the lifelong friendships forged throughout the transformative experience.
Youth Parliament is organised by a dedicated team of young people, including volunteers and many former participants. Where possible, we support participants so they can attend, including assistance with travel funds and gaining subsides or sponsored program fees.
Who can apply?
- Young people aged 15 to 25
- Must be living in Western Australia
- Passionate about issues and representing your community
How does it work?
- Participants are selected and allocated:
- A State Electorate, which aims to reflect where they live
- A “Committee,” based on an issue they selected in the application; this will be your group and area your bill is written on
- A Party, Government or Opposition; this is not a reflection of current parliament and is a non-partisan program. This is for a taste of parliamentary mechanisms
From there, the time commitment to the program includes:
- Three training Days: Saturday 22nd April, Saturday 27th May, Saturday 24th June
- Online meetings from April to June (based on your individual availabilities)
- A residential camp between 9 to 14 July
What will you gain through your attending the program?
- Learning to work with a diverse range of people, with respect and consideration
- Developing lifelong friendships and networks
- Learning new skills and developing knowledge of political systems
- Attend Parliament House and debate in the chamber
- Learn how to create your own legislation and write speeches
- Opportunity to join the Youth Parliament Alumni community!
Stay up to date by visiting our Facebook Page.